It was recently reported that some California oysters can make you sick. Not due to the slimy slithering feeling as the oyster is swallowed -- but due to something that is much more serious.
A northern California company is voluntarily recalling their oysters after it was revealed that some oysters may contain the Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria. The California Department of Public Health announced that this particular bacteria can cause vomiting, abdominal cramps, watery diarrhea, headache fever and chills. The recall affects Drakes Bay Oyster Company raw oysters that are shucked or in the shell.
According to the CDPH, three people have become ill after eating the oysters. Drakes Bay Oyster Company is a family-owned business which is cooperating with the investigation and testing. At this point in time it has not been determined conclusively that the oysters are to blame, and so the product recall is a precautionary move.
According to the Center for Disease Prevention and Control, Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria are a known danger of eating raw oysters. Annually about 4,500 cases of illness are caused by these bacteria. It is rarely fatal, and the illness typically lasts between one and three days. The bacteria are related to the bacteria that cause cholera and are found in brackish sea water.
When someone is injured or becomes ill due to a contaminated food product, the food distributor or manufacturer can be held liable for personal injury damages. The CDPH continues to investigate the situation and provides exact product recall identification numbers on its website.
Source: Fox40, "Northern California Company Recalls Oyster Products," Cecilio Padilla, Aug. 12, 2012
At our San Francisco law firm we represent personal injury clients including those who are injured are become ill due to a defective or dangerous product, similar to those described in this post.